Anyone that wants to learn more about the best gay and lesbian bars or clubs in Melbourne can definitely do so right here. This local LGBT nightlife guide will also discuss topics like mixed clubs, trans bars, drag shows, the main queer area of town and more!
There are quite a few annual and frequent pride events that we will also tell you about. And we can’t forget about the best LGBT dating sites for your area since a lot of people prefer those to going out these days.
We all have our own style and we know gay and lesbian bars are not for everyone. We will just list everything we can think of and then you can proceed in whichever way sounds right for you. By the way you can read more of our posts on Australia at that link.
Best LGBT Bars & Clubs In Melbourne
Let’s start this off with a list of the best mixed LGBT bars and nightclubs in Melbourne:
- Yah Yah’s at 99 Little Smith St
- Francesca’s Bar at 222 High St
- Prince of Wales Hotel at 29 Fitzroy St
- Sircuit Bar at 103-105 Smith St
- The Laird at 149 Gipps St
- DT’s Hotel at 164 Church St
- The 86 at 185 Smith St
- Poof Doof at 386 Chapel St
- The Peel Hotel at 46 Peel St
- Adam at 103 Smith St
- Rainbow House Club at 125 Smith St
- Mollie’s at 103-105 Smith St
- Attik at 255 Chapel St
Best Gay Bars & Clubs
Those that want to find purely gay bars and clubs in Melbourne for men to meet men can have success at the spots we just posted. It wasn’t long ago that things were far less inclusive, but over the past decade most spots have become more LGBT friendly instead of strictly being local gay bars.
Best Lesbian Bars & Clubs in Melbourne
That is also true when it comes to trying to find a full on lesbian bar in Melbourne. You can probably have success at most of the bars or clubs from the mixed list and if there are not other lesbian women looking to meet women inside then try another place until you find the right one.
This could even mean going to popular nightclubs around town that are not known as LGBT hot spots in your area per se. With all of that said the Mother parties for queer women that is held at Attik on Fridays wouldn’t be a bad place to start your search at all.
Drag Shows & Trans Bars
We aren’t really to the point of having full on trans bars in Melbourne, but you can find drag shows that may help you locate ts near you at:
- Drag Show at Sircuit Bar on Wednesdays
- Hey Henny at Sircuit Bar on Thursdays
- Adult Bingo at Pride of our Footscray on Wednesdays
- Babydrag at Mollie’s on Thursdays
- Fellas in Frocks at The 86 on Friday Nights
- Vau d’Vile Drag Cabaret
- DT’s Bar
- The 86
We know the scene here pretty well if we may say so, but we cover way too many cities to have a more intimate knowledge on all of them than the local experts. Our goal is to keep our lists as up to date as possible but we need your help to do so.
It would be great if you could use the comments section to let us know if you notice anything dated. There really is not one main gay area or gayborhood here but we have a map coming up that can help you understand the lay of the land better.
We have also written posts on:
- LGBTQ Nightlife in Sydney
- LGBTQ Nightlife in Brisbane
- LGBTQ Nightlife in Adelaide
- LGBTQ Nightlife in Gold Coast
Weekly, Monthly, & Pride Events
Here are some of the best LGBT events that occur on a regular basis:
- Hoochie with Pool Comp at The Laird on Tuesdays
- Trivial Hirsute at The Laird on Wednesdays
- Spit and Polish at The Laird on Thursdays
- Thurgay at Yah Yah’s on Thursdays
- Mother at Attik on Fridays
- Bad Habits at Yah Yah’s on Saturdays
- Feeling Frisky Fridays at The Peel Hotel
- Boys Night Out at The Peel Hotel on Saturdays
- Big Gay Trivia at DT’s Hotel on Thursdays
- Friyay at Francesca’s Bar on Fridays
- Apollo at Sircuit Bar on Saturdays
And these are the best pride events plus other LGBT events throughout the year:
- Midsumma Festival in February
- Melbourne Queer Film Festival in March
- ChillOut Festival in March
- Closet Party
Best LGBT Dating Sites
Trying to find other LGBT people near you for dating or hook ups was a lot tougher back in the day, especially if you don’t like to party. Going to gay or lesbian bars in your area was pretty much all you could do, but thankfully that is no longer the case.
We don’t know or care what your current status is but we are pretty sure that there are some people reading this who may not want to have their photos taken at a gay bar and posted on social media. Adult Friend Finder has been the biggest hook up site on the planet for almost two decades.
They actually have a big network of sites which some may not know. Their top site for finding gay men near you to hook up with is Men Nation and most people are surprised at how many users it has in major cities like this one.
It combines all of the users on their numerous sites across their network which are not only straight and LGBT but also include swingers and different types of kinks and fetishes. So if you want m4m hook ups look into Men Nation, and for f4f hook ups use Lesbian Personals.
We also want to mention the world’s top transgender dating site, MyTransgenderDate. More ts near you than ever before are enjoying the life they want to live which means trans dating in Melbourne has never been easier.
At this point we have covered the Melbourne LGBT nightlife in full. You know all about the best local gay or lesbian bars and clubs plus drag shows to party with trans and all sorts of LGBT dating sites to have some fun with. Now choose the best option for you and enjoy yourself.